Driving into the fertility center this morning, I thought to myself that, by now, I could probably get there with my eyes closed. As heavily flakes of snow fell from the sky, I walked inside to wait on Scott & compile a list of questions for our RE.
Taking us back, the nurse apologized that we were here….again, no pregnancy in tow. When our Dr. walked in, he too apologized, adding, “If I had a magic wand to wave and make you pregnant, I would.”
He started by reviewing how many eggs were retrieved as a whole both attempts, how many of those were viable, & how many we ended with. He noted that my eggs were deemed, “mediocre,” the first time & granular, not tolerating the injection well, during the 2nd IVF.
Before I could get to my list of questions, he answered one for me. After talking about my shotty eggs, he informed us that donor eggs were an option. Apparently, if you have someone who is willing to be a donor for you, it’s 15, 000. If not, it can run up to 20, 000-30, 000. Which we sure don’t have!
Embryo adoption was also mentioned. The closest one is located in Knoxville and pricing rages from 7, 000-10, 000…which could be doable for us at some point. Our Dr. was also clear to mention even this wasn’t a guarantee, as nothing ever is in infertility.
& now, on to the questions I had he hadn’t already answered:
- Why would our embryo quality have been worse the 2nd time?
“Eggs can vary from month to month, as can sperm/quality.”
2. What can be done to improve egg quality?
“Short answer? Nothing.”
3. Is there a point for us to try IVF again?
“I would be willing to try it one more time, whatever you’re comfortable with.”
4. Opinion on an FET for the 1 embryo we have frozen?
He said it would be definitely be worth a try because, “what else are you going to do with it?” Our embryo frozen is, according to him, a good embryo and has a 90% chance of surviving the thaw. With that, the pregnancy rate for just the 1 is 25%. If we had 2 embryos to transfer with an FET, it would go up to 50%
5. Scott’s added question: what are our chances of conceiving naturally?
With all of that being said, I walked away feeling much worse about the consult. In our first one, I feel like our RE was much more hopeful about things….he’d told he wasn’t ready to give up on us yet. This time, he made it sound like he understood if we wanted to not. My egg quality also held a much bleaker outlook. Other options were considered….it was just incredibly disheartening overall.
At this point, we let him know we planned to take a break for at least 6 months. After that, we’ll decided whether or not if we want to try IVF one last time or do a FET with our one embryo we already have.